The myth of the mystical Phoenix is that when it dies it turns to ashes, those ashes then ignite into a golden flame of rebirth, and the Phoenix lives on, renewed.
Traveling opens the heart, mind, body, and soul through all of its wanderings. Traveling creates the ashes from which the traveler is reborn, and love lights the fire.

I am a backpacker, a social worker, a grateful receiver, an eternal empathizer, a seed growing, an ear listening, a child learning, a sister sharing, an American evolving, a therapist reflecting, a daughter caring, an embrace holding tightly, a friend to all - I am a Traveling Phoenix, experiencing the world that sets my soul on fire with love. Thanks for joining me.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Parlez vous francais? 10/28- 10/31

I can see how some people might think of Paris as a romantic city. The city of love. It is a romantic and beautiful place to be. It's also the city of overly priced food, unforgettable world renowned art, and of course where there is art there is great history.
Isabela and I flew to Paris-Beauvais airport. It is an airport which, although its namesake is deceiving, is not in Paris. After waiting for our hour-late shuttle, it took us another 2 hours or so to get underneath the Eiffel Tower. That was our first stop and where we met up with Lais and Magda.
The weekend began quickly, and ended suddenly. I was hoping my chiropractor and his magic hands would have helped hold me together for the whole weekend but by the time the days were ending I was worn out and by our last day in Paris it was hard to do anything. I think I stuck it out pretty well though. We arrived in the afternoon on a Friday; walked around the Eiffel Tower and saw the NYU Paris campus. We enjoyed a lovely dinner out for my birthday, and had relaxing nights every night.

Saturday we went to the Musee du Louvre! AMAZING! I was disappointed that a lot of the rooms I wanted to see weren't open, but what I did get to see amazed me. I was running around drooling, taking pictures of all of the different artists I had studied like; Gericault, Delacroix, da Vinci, Donatello, Titian, Carracci, Rubens, Gentileschi, Reni, Louis David, and so so soooo much more! In just a couple of hours too! I loved it so much that when I returned to Madrid I wrote an email to my first art history teacher and raved all about it. Even though I don't remember everything I've learned about art, and I certainly don't know that much after a couple of classes, I still feel appreciation and respect for it in a way that makes me excited to keep learning or to see in person what I've already learned about. I definitely could not be an art history person though... museums can get boring after a couple of times; at least to me. Not to mention I have an awful memory. It's just a cool thing to be a part of.
That night we went to an authentic Cuban restaurant. It wouldn't have been difficult to get to if the Paris metro hadn't suddenly quit working. We had to take three trains to get back just because one metro line decided to die.

The next day Isabela, Magda, and I went to Versaille. Versaille was really cool but it was not as impressive as I thought it would be. The gold leaf everywhere was amazing, and the ceiling paintings in every room felt like someone worked on it like the Sistine Chapel... in every room. I saw copies of portraits I had studied of Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette; and then realized that I had already seen the real thing the day before in the Louvre. I saw the bedroom chambers of dead kings and queens, which was creepy. Every room had a different color theme so looking down the corridor over the crowds of people I felt like I was looking at a rainbow. I walked through the Hall of Mirrors. The mirrors reflect the arches of the windows that overlook the grand garden outside. We didn't get to walk through the gardens or see the water show unfortunately, but maybe if I ever go back I will make a point to. It was amazing to be there knowing the process of how it was built and by who. I'm pretty sure we stood in the center of the same court where King Louis XIV and Marie Antoinette were beheaded.

Later I went to the Musee d'Orsay and saw even MORE art that I had studied and fell in love with like; Renoir, Monet, Manet, Cezanne, and Van Gogh. It's amazing to me how much my appreciation for art has expanded over the past couple of years. I went into my Western Renaissance to Modern Art History class thinking that I was only taking it for a history credit, and I left with an enthusiasm for art that I didn't have before. That's what happens when you understand things I guess. I doubt there are many people who would get excited about an early 16th century painting of a woman with no eyebrows and an indistinct background, seated in the center with arms folded and half her body not there... unless they knew that the painting they were looking at was THE most famous painting in the world by Leonardo da Vinci. Not that I know much, cause I don't, but what little I do know makes the experience cooler. -- After seeing the museum I walked to a bridge that had hundreds of locks attached to the fence rail. They were locks of love. People come and write their names, poems, hearts, and lock them on the bridge over the Seine River that runs through Paris. One lock I found said "Sealed like a  lock is the love I bear, never to part of this I swear. The only keys to break these ties, into the Seine never to rise." If I didn't read that I would have never known that the river's name.  I looked it up because I thought it meant something in French. Nope, just a river.

I'd have to say my favorite part of the trip - if I had to choose out of all of the amazing things we did - would be our last night in Paris when Lais, Isabela, and I went to see the Eiffel Tower at night when it lights up and sparkles. I enjoyed my first French crepe with nutella and banana on it, we took a lot of pictures, and then we walked underneath the Tower to the other side where there was a park of people sitting in groups drinking; a lot like the Madrilenos do in parks. I laid on the grass looking at the Eiffel Tower, and I just had a moment to relax my mind and my body. It reminded me a lot of nights at home with my best friend Laura; sometimes when we didn't drive out to the river to sit on top of my car and look at the stars, we would just lay in the middle of the street at night looking up and talking about our lives and different things that would cross our minds. I don't think I have missed home so much being here as I did while I was looking at the Eiffel Tower; which is interesting to me since #France #EiffelTower have absolutely nothing to do with home.

When we left the park we walked back under the Tower to head to the metro and eventually bed. Just as we were leaving the park, the police came to clear everyone out, because just like most places in the world being at parks after a certain our or drinking in public, isn't really a legal thing to do. We went on our way without anyone even asking us to leave. After heading in our direction I noticed that my phone was missing. I immediately new that I had left it on the grass in the park. I left Isabela and Lais and ran to the park, which was now completely fenced off. I looked around to see if the police were watching, and when I felt the coast was clear I hopped the fence, and used Lais's phone to shine on the grass and call my number. Just as I spotted my phone a police officer yelled something at me in French. I ran to the fence, and bent it down so that it was easier to hop over. I thought that the police officer who was yelling at me would chase me or something... or I just didn't want to have legal problems in a foreign country, so I sprinted back to where I left the girls and we headed on our way. It was only trespassing but run-ins with the law is always exciting; that also reminds me of New Hampshire.




Our last day in Paris was Monday, and we returned to Madrid late that night. That day Isabela and I went to Notre Dame and Sainte-Chapelle Chapel. Notre Dame was breathtaking just as the other chapels we have been to. It was more breathtaking than the catedrals in Spain, with the exception of Gaudi's Sagrada Familia. Inside we sat for a while in the pews.
I took the opportunity for further reflection and prayer; as I am not so frequently able to go to my own church while abroad. I've adopted the Catholic church as a good replacement for prayer-emergencies haha. Afterward we followed a tour led by a man who used to be a professor in the United States.


He explained to us the history of the images outside of the cathedral and every intricate detail in the stone. Unfortunately, Isabela and I ran out of time and had to leave before the tour ended so we could get to Sainte-Chapelle, where I saw the most amazing stained glass I have ever seen. My mom's obsession with stained glass rubbed off on me a little and I just felt amazed and hurt my neck from looking up so much. The light was beautiful when shone through the glass.

Once returning to Madrid I realized that every journey I've been on to different places has taught me something about myself. The things I learn about myself aren't always bad or good sometimes they're just habits that people point out to me or things that I say all of the time. Tijuana, Mexico taught me about patience. Beius, Romania taught me a little bit about understanding and inner strength. Sosua, DR taught me about growing up and moving forward. Every place has taught me something, and all of them have taught me bits and pieces that I have tried to put together along the way. I learn about all of these things everywhere I go, but every trip still seems to have its dominating theme. In Paris I started to learn how to let go of things that I tend to hold onto. Self-awareness isn't really any good unless you do something with what you're aware of.

No comments:

Post a Comment