The myth of the mystical Phoenix is that when it dies it turns to ashes, those ashes then ignite into a golden flame of rebirth, and the Phoenix lives on, renewed.
Traveling opens the heart, mind, body, and soul through all of its wanderings. Traveling creates the ashes from which the traveler is reborn, and love lights the fire.

I am a backpacker, a social worker, a grateful receiver, an eternal empathizer, a seed growing, an ear listening, a child learning, a sister sharing, an American evolving, a therapist reflecting, a daughter caring, an embrace holding tightly, a friend to all - I am a Traveling Phoenix, experiencing the world that sets my soul on fire with love. Thanks for joining me.

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Prague and Family! 11/11 - 11/13

With the weeks of school winding down, everyone has ten times more work than normal, EVEN ME! Not really though. I always give goals to myself and once they're on the list I have to get them done otherwise I feel like I have a lot hanging over my head. So the goals I create feel like homework and can stress me out just as easily. One might ask "jeez Yasmin, why create these goals then? Golly." Well, I don't usually intend to make goals they just happen. If I have to go to another part of town to work on a project that I've started because I thought it sounded like fun, that means that I can't just drop it and finish it later when I'm home and have no homework. Once it starts it doesn't end. Sometimes thats good, but other times I wish I had an off switch so that I didn't care an I could just take my time doing whatever I wanted.

Among the work I  had to get started this weekend, my family was in Madrid for 5 days! I only was able to give them my nights and show them the apartment once, but otherwise it was a good amount of time. Dancing in Joy, going out to eat (of course) and introducing them to some of my friends was really nice. I feel more myself with them even though we hardly ever get along.

This past weekend we all went to Prague! In case you didn't know, Prague is AWESOME! It was so beautiful, even when the sun wasn't out or it was too cold to bare, the houses looked like a Christmas land, and everything felt really traditional. We saw stuff I didn't know existed,  ate food that was so much better than in Spain, and we went to all kinds of museums including the Prague Castle, the Museum of Young Art, and the Gallery of Art. I thought the Young Art was the most interesting, and the 4th floor out of the 7 floors in the Gallery of Art was probably my absolute favorite. It had all kinds of impressionist, post-impressionist and cubism art that I had studied before so of course I was more interested because I knew what was going on. Interpreting art is always interesting but I'd rather learn about it in a classroom I think.

I was most excited to see the St. Cyril and St. Methodios Church that is one of the only Orthodox churches in Prague. Cyril and Methodios were brothers from Greece who grew up with a mother speaking Slavonic to them. They served the church and were missionaries. Essentially the pioneers of Christianity in ALL Slavic countries like Ukraine, Russia, Belarusa, Lithuania, and so on. Not to mention I have read a lot about them and their explorations and conflicts with the Pope and whatnot. Christian history fascinates me. Unfortunately the church wasn't as spectacular as I hoped, we couldn't even go inside! :( I just wanted to sit a minute in a Greek Orthodox church. That is the first thing I'm going to do when I arrive Sunday night December 18th in Manchester! Can't wait! I can have religion without church but I still miss the church atmosphere a lot.

At one point Isabela and I wanted to see a museum that the rest of my family wasn't too interested in, so we headed in our own direction. That was one of my favorite parts because we walked along the river and over the Charles Bridge. Even though it was cold, it was worth seeing the sights.

I'm gonna keep this one short because I really for the most part write these blogs for my family... and they were with me! haha

I tried different foods, of course, that's how my family vacations. It's nice though because it reminds me to slow down which is something I forget about. We didn't walk around as much as usual but I got some one on one time with everyone individually and it was really great for me even though my family and I can butt heads sometimes. Overcoming the tension and being happy together is just a challenge that makes our good times even more wonderful.

It's funny because my mom is the peacekeeper, and she is a Gemini. The rest of us buttheads and ironically my brother and I are both Scorpios and my dad is a Leo... interesting how all of those horoscopes seem to play their roles. Not that I believe in that stuff or anything...

No comments:

Post a Comment