The myth of the mystical Phoenix is that when it dies it turns to ashes, those ashes then ignite into a golden flame of rebirth, and the Phoenix lives on, renewed.
Traveling opens the heart, mind, body, and soul through all of its wanderings. Traveling creates the ashes from which the traveler is reborn, and love lights the fire.

I am a backpacker, a social worker, a grateful receiver, an eternal empathizer, a seed growing, an ear listening, a child learning, a sister sharing, an American evolving, a therapist reflecting, a daughter caring, an embrace holding tightly, a friend to all - I am a Traveling Phoenix, experiencing the world that sets my soul on fire with love. Thanks for joining me.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Gran Canaria 12/9-12/12

The last trip during my study abroad travels (which ended December 17th) was to the Spanish island called Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
This trip look a lot of planning and a lot of changing of plans, and I like to think that it was well worth it. I had a lot of studying and writing to do at the time, just like everyone else in college, so my time was basically spent resting, eating, and doing the school stuff. The weather wasn't the greatest because the sun wasn't really out the entire weekend, but I found the slow pace and atmosphere quite enjoyable.

Originally we were supposed to have traveled to stay outside the city of Las Palmas, but because of my own mixups with our hostel arrangements, I changed the plans last minute and my roommate and I ended up on the opposite side of the island at a town called Puerto Rico. The hotels were very cool because they were on cliffs overlooking the water. Our last minute arrangements took us to a nice hotel over the water with our own little apartment for the 3 days we were there.

My favorite part about being in Gran Canaria was the stars at night. If it was just a little bit darker, like New Hampshire gets, than it would have been a perfect resemblance to home. I love laying outside at night, under the stars. There's something that is romantic about it and has a way of calming me down.

During my trip there I went on a boat ride between towns, shopped a bit (obviously), and basically just relaxed. I would have liked to have had time to hike a volcano, but I didn't plan it in advance or look into it enough to do that. I had never even seen a volcano before that so driving through the island just to get to and from the airport was really cool for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment