The myth of the mystical Phoenix is that when it dies it turns to ashes, those ashes then ignite into a golden flame of rebirth, and the Phoenix lives on, renewed.
Traveling opens the heart, mind, body, and soul through all of its wanderings. Traveling creates the ashes from which the traveler is reborn, and love lights the fire.

I am a backpacker, a social worker, a grateful receiver, an eternal empathizer, a seed growing, an ear listening, a child learning, a sister sharing, an American evolving, a therapist reflecting, a daughter caring, an embrace holding tightly, a friend to all - I am a Traveling Phoenix, experiencing the world that sets my soul on fire with love. Thanks for joining me.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Bystander Effect

It seems that without warning a person's sexual being can explode and overpower the normal, often apprehensive, way that one might normally go about an arousing situation. People often find confidence in their surroundings. After one person begins helping, many people join in; but it takes that one person to step up before other bystanders choose to do the same. By internalizing our human desire to fit in we create an environment of followers, an environment of people easily influenced by peer pressure (consciously or not), and an often absent minded way of life. Sometimes, I snap out of it here and there, and I wonder how I got to where I am as a result of going through the motions of life so absentmindedly. It's no surprise that when the aroma of the evening is romantic or has a high sexual tension unexpected things will happen. If one person in a close group is feeling salacious than it is more common that others will follow-rank.

Often times I find nights like these disheartening. I look around outside and across the lot of land, while the tranquility of the fire and the murmuring of soothing voices sets the tone, I feel that a piece is missing. Have I been a bystander following the crowd? Often times, yes. I only second-guess myself when the opinion and actions of others disrupt the acme in myself. It puts me off kilter, and when I am in my most advantageous and prayerful mindset I notice it even more.

Many believe that in order to reach their goal they need to work at it. However, that's not true in all cases. In some cases, practice does not make perfect. As a matter of fact, I think in some cases practice disrupts focus, balance, and even sometimes innocence. There are some things in life that we need to wait for, and the plan for what we desire but cannot work at will fall into place whether it is seen or unseen.

No comments:

Post a Comment